Recommended Places in Daihoji (2h – 3h)
Soryokan used to be a part of a larger residence that belonged to KUBO Hikobei, one of the wealthiest Kitamaebune shipowners, whose business thrived in the area. Kitamaebune were merchant ships that once travelled across the Sea of Japan from the mid-Edo (around 1700-1750) to the Meiji era (1868-1912). Today, Soryokan is used as a civic centre, allowing visitors a glimpse inside this historic residence and garden.
Yamanoshita Temples Area
Once a castle residence for the cadet branch of the Kaga clan (today's Kanazawa), Daishoji is a place flush with history and tradition. Situated in the south-western part of Daishoji, the Yamanoshita Temples Area bears witness to the town’s glorious feudal past. Made up of seven temples and one shrine, it is well acknowledged by historians that all these sacred places were gathered in order to defend the former castle of Daishoji. It is a great
Home to Valuable Cultural Properties Affiliated with the Soto Zen school, this temple was founded in honor of MAEDA Toshiharu, the first Daishoji lord, whose gravestone still lies in the adjoining garden’s graveyard along with all of his successors’. Wandering through dignified buildings and beautiful gardens may make you feel introspective. Zazen (sitting meditation) and Shakyo (copying Buddhist sutra to another paper) classes are also ava
Follow in the Footsteps of Basho Zensho-ji temple is a Soto Zen Buddhist temple. In addition to the splendid main building, this temple is also famous for its 500 plus small Rakan (disciple of Buddha) statues, donated by influential warriors and villagers from Daishoji. Displayed in a detached lodge, each one of them is completely unique. The variety and expressiveness of these works is such that the locals say one could find a statue resembling
Kutaniyaki Art Museum
Kutani-yaki (Kutani porcelain) is widely considered to be one of Japan's most original and highly decorative porcelain styles, with a remarkable artistic legacy that still continues. The Daishoji domain (presently the Kaga City area) began producing porcelain in 1655, in the early Edo era. The porcelain was named Kutani-yaki after Kutani village where the pottery stone was produced and the kilns were built. Since then, Kutani-yaki has evolved to